Our History & Passion
Believing… that together we can drive up employment and independence.
The Sierra Group became involved with Assistive Technology (AT) in 1992 as one of the first AT Vendors to serve the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. Work quickly expanded to include business consulting for worksite accommodations and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance issues on a national level. This growing base of business clients was curious about how to 'find' the many tax and other financial incentives. Over time, The Sierra Group created an extensive intranet of forms and resources - and began to share with the industry. In the past twenty years The Sierra Group has become a Leader in Disability and Employment. Our offerings continue with the creation of RecruitDisability.org and the addition of The Sierra Group Academy as additional ways to drive up employment.
- As an advocate, and a female entrepreneur with a disability, Janet Fiore made 300 visits to Hill Staff, Members of Congress, and Administration Executives to assist in the passage of a Senate Bill that would set a hiring ruling for government contractors to use 10% or more workers with disabilities or Veterans.
- She testified in front of the US House of Representatives Committee on Small Business in support of the need to continue to promote and fund programs including the state AT Act programs, the Public program of Vocational Rehabilitation, and new outreach efforts regarding employment and accommodation.
- In PA she testified in Harrisburg in support of public Vocational Rehabilitation during the hearings preceding the PA Workforce Investment Act.
- Janet received the US Department of Labor’s Female Entrepreneur with a Disability Award.
Building on the history and passion as one of the first AT providers in the nation, The Sierra Group Foundation's 4 existing programs and their robust service and information offerings were born!
- The Sierra Group Academy (a program of The Sierra Group Foundation committed to serving regional job seekers with disabilities as they endeavor to gain skills and accommodations (AT) to enter or re-enter employment.
- RecruitDisability.org (leading national job board that LINKS job seekers with disabilities to companies ready to hire while also sharing relevant news and information on trends and laws affecting disability and hiring in our nation)
- Onemoreway.org & EmploymentIncentives.org – two programs of the Sierra Group Foundation working hand in hand to provide connections, information to people with disabilities, family members, educators and businesses who hire!
ACCESSING THE RESOURCES for training, employment and accommodation of people with disabilities? Together, our programs are doing that for Americans with Disabilities, including Veterans.
The Sierra Group is committed to providing resources, and opportunities to all individuals with disabilities one-on-one across the nation.